After lunch, Andy & I bought a cup of hot chocolate and wandered around the Goethe's courtyard. I soon found out that Christmas is a very big deal in Germany even though most of those who celebrate it are not Christian. The Christmas festival will be in full swing tomorrow and I will be sure to post some pictures. I am very interested in learning about Christmas in Germany because the United State got most of their Christmas traditions from Germany. O Tennenbaum, anyone? As Andy & I walked around the various booths and set-ups, we were dazzle with chestnuts roasting on an open fire (literally), wooden hand carved chairs, a German man playing the classical guitar and belting Christmas carols (in German, naturally), and finally by an authentic glass-blower. I'm not sure if you have ever seen someone blow glass, but trust me, it is something to be admired. I felt like a small kid watching a magic show.
Later in the afternoon, I watched the latest episode of my favorite podcast, SnowFix. It's a podcast purely about snowboarding and skiing that is broadcast by some people in the U.K. I have been watching it regularly for about 3 years now. This week, they announced the winner of a contest that I actually entered. The contest was to see who could come up with the best pranks. Guess what. I won! Out of 131,00 people, I have the best pranks, which means that you better not cross me. Trust me, I have already made two girls cry. I'm still sorry Leah and Megs. I love you both.
Here's the episode: if you are only concerned about seeing my name, skip to the 11th minute. You might could say that I am famous, in a small demographic of snowboarders that watch podcasts that is.
After a semi-productive afternoon of studying and making flashcards (yes, I studied on a Friday afternoon), I joined my friends in our language school's basement for a welcome party for all the new students. Like most parties with dancing, it started slow and then picked up. Small note: I share a bathroom with the CV (German equivalent to an RA). Because Simon was the DJ, he let me pick out a few songs. I am proud to say that I imported not just one of the United States' greatest, college dance songs, but also the dance that does along with it: 'Jump on It' by Apache. It was an instant hit. If you are unfamiliar with the song and dance, please see below (a wonderful example by the Fresh Prince). And if you are German...your welcome.
I'm exhausted. But man...what a good day.
Way to get the club going... to the pony.