Normally, I do not write unless there is some worth writing about. Since my time in Schwäbisch Hall began, there have been several things worth writing about. I almost feel that I have been writing too much, but tonight was too good to not write.

This evening many people gathered together for not just a pot luck dinner, but Andy's last dinner at the Goethe Institute. Andy is from Nebraska. She has been at the Goethe Institute for over 4 months. She's a great girl and life just shines from within her. About 15 people came together for the dinner, each bringing a dish from his/her homeland. I made southern mashed potatoes if you are wondering. And yes I used plenty of butter and a dash of milk.

But, as we all sat down at the table together, I couldn't help but notice the faces I have become friends with over the past two weeks. Dora from Peru. Andy & Tammy from Nebraska. Lucas, Bruno, and Stefanie from Brazil. Louiza, Silvia, and Evian from Italy. Simon and Pascal from Germany. Andrew from Australia. Laia from Spain. Salma from Tunisia. And me.

I'm constantly asking myself what I learned from every situation. As before, I wonder what I learned from tonight.

Here it is: There are great differences and great similarities between cultures. Incidentally, people are the same and they are different. In what ways are people the same? Everyone loves good food, regardless. Everyone, no matter what country they claim as 'home,' loves to laugh, tell and hear good stories, and feel included and loved. Individuals from across the world sat down at a table tonight for dinner. In all honesty, we were coming to a common ground. We focused on our similarities rather than what might tear us apart. No one forsook their homeland. The evidence was plainly sitting on the table in form of international native dishes. We came together as people. And we had a great time.

Andy spoke up and asked everyone to share their favorite memory at the Goethe Institute. The memories and stories came flooding in as if someone blew up a dam. We must have sat at that table for nearly two hours. The longest anyone has been in Schwäbisch Hall is 6 months. Many people may not have that many stories to tell after six months, but I do believe something special happens when people from so many different cultures, languages, and countries come together in one place. There is a reaction that is almost chemical in nature. The more chemicals or cultures one throws into the mix, the more volatile it becomes. But, in the case with people, the volatility becomes changes in perspectives, learning about other cultures, personal growth, enjoyable differences, and memories to be had. It is a beautiful thing and I feel lucky to see it in action tonight. Even Lucas, who showed up recently at the Goethe said the dinner tonight was already his favorite memory.

We may have come together for the food, but we stayed together for three hours because of something far deeper...

1 Comment

  1. Donna on December 11, 2008 at 11:50 AM

    ...and you all spoke German?